Historic Clock at the Library
by Bill Tobin 7/3/12
Holliston Public Library is home to an 1800 Willard clock donated to the library in 1892.
This ancient clock in perfect condition once belonged to the Bullards.
This clock was new in 1800 and donated to the Holliston Library in 1892.
The clock was built in Roxbury by Simon Willard expressly for Samuel Bullard of Holliston in 1800.
A close up examination of the clock face is inscribed Warranted for Mr Samuel Bullard, Simon Willard.
The clock remained with the Bullard family from 1800 to 1892 when it was donated to the Town Library in 1892 by Otis Bullard, the grandson of Samuel, in memory of his father, Captain Samuel Bullard.
It is an eight day pendulum clock that strikes on the hour, in a mahagony cabinet.
The Willard clock has been restored thanks to the generosity of Richard Hills of Hills Antique Clocks located in East Holliston, and returned to the library. The clock was presented to the town in 1892,but the present library was not constructed until 1904. Leslie McDonnell, library director, assumes that the clock was in the town hall at that time, as was the library. John Losch has also been associated with the maintenance of this historic time piece for many years.
The clock is currently in the Reference Room on the main floor of the library. This valuable piece of local history can be appreciated by seeking out the reference room. A more public view of the clock would be nice, but it must be in a protected area and not in danger of accidental damage. The library staff is hoping to find a better site in the library so all can enjoy this historic relic.