Sen Spilka: $300,000 for post-high school special education Holliston High
Holliston Historical Society has space for a few local crafters: 508 429 5795
Good luck Holliston Pan Mass Challenge riders.
Real Estate Tax due Monday, August 3,2015
Thank you AIB judges for touring our great town
5 days of UNLIMITED yoga just $10 at the Prana Center: 508.429.3470

Beware of the Veterans Scam

by Bobby Blair
November 18, 2012

They're at it again, asking you to donate but very little actually goes to the veteran ...

Last Spring I received a call from the Bay State Vietnam Veterans Inc. asking for a contribution. I declined the invitation telling the caller I had never heard of the organization. In August of this year the Massachusetts Attorney Generals Office filed suit against Bay State Vietnam Veterans Inc. and R.I. based Dynamic Marketing Solutions Inc. alledging fraudulent fundraising. The Attorney General's Office alleged that donors were misled to believe that all their donations were going directly to benefit veterans when in fact 85% were going to the solicitor. The Bay State Veterans site is still viewable on the Internet.

After receiving a tip from local American Legion Commander Alan Greendale on Sunday morning about solicitations for veterans in front of the Superette I ventured downtown.

The gentleman above did not give his name. I grew suspicious when no organization name was displayed on the banner or contribution jug on the man's table. I asked the man if he was in fact a veteran. He told me he was in the Navy fron 1972- 1975. I asked him if he was a volunteer or did he get paid. We get paid an hourly rate he told me. Do you have any information on your organization I asked the man. Polite enough he offered me a half page printed brocheure which stated the organization was "Focus on Veterans" located at 240 Westminster Hill Road in Fitchburg, MA. What are you folks doing way down here I asked. "Oh they send us all over the state" was his reply. A call to the number listed on the handout said that my message would be forwarded to an automatic messaging machine. A review of the Attorney General Charitable Organizations shows that Focus on Veterans last Annual Report was from the period of 5/10/10 to 12/31/10. No dollar figures were listed. Giver beware.

In yet another annual scam, I was emailed by a Wendy Lane resident this week asking if I knew anything about phone call solicitations on behalf of Am Vet Post #495 in Millis. I was a little shocked that the phone calls to local residents were arriving so early this year, normally they arrive in early January. Once again this organization uses a paid solicitor to make calls on behalf of their post. In the past the solicitor received 75% of your donation and Am Vets Post takes the remaining 25%. Why these folks haven't been shut down by the Attorney General is beyond me. I nor anyone in the local Holliston Veterans organizations of the American Legion or VFW are aware of any local veterans being helped by Am Vet Post 495. Nuff said?

 

Posted in Marketplace.

E-mail This Article

Comments (3)

I recently saw Focus On Veterans at a local WalMart, and do not appreciate their "unsat" way of dressing. First, if you have never served your country, you should not put on the uniform. Any soldier, sailor, Marine or Airmen would know what is the proper footwear. As a Veteran, it is sad to know that this organization pockets 85% of the money they get. Where is the focus on Veterans? The AG should look into this group and stop them from duping people out of money.

- Shell | 2/11/14 3:44 AM

I think you should look into the calls that we get for donations to the police association. I was told that the police get very little of that money.

- Roger Castelli | 11/22/12 4:11 AM

Way to go Bobby. I'm sick of those calls too.

- Walter McGrath | 11/21/12 11:36 AM

Advertisement

Advertisement

Recent Articles by Bobby Blair:

Recent Real Estate Sales

Continue ...

Up on the Farm It's Dahlia Time

[Comments:1]

Continue ...

Utility Pole Blocks Marshall Street

Continue ...

Recent Real Estate Sales

Continue ...

Recent Real Estate Sale -1

Continue ...

Advertisement

Recent Articles in Marketplace:

Recent Real Estate Sales

by Bobby Blair

Continue ...

Senior Center Annual Fair

by Bill Tobin

The annual Senior Center Fall Fair will be on Saturday, September 12th. Goods and services are needed to make this fair a success.

Continue ...

Recent Real Estate Sales

by Bobby Blair

Continue ...

Retirement Planning

by Ryland Hanstad

Many plan for a retirement to up to 20 years, but in reality, retirement may last much longer. Prepare with flexible planning. Take a fresh look at expenses and income.

Continue ...

Brayhill Country Store

by Paul Saulnier

Located at 369 Concord Street, Holliston, the Brayhill Country Store has been twenty-eight years in business and still going strong.

[Comments:2]

Continue ...

Advertisement