Mondo Soul (Motown R&B) at Goodwill Park
by Paul Saulnier 7/9/13
July 9, 2013. Another great night for a free concert at Goodwill Park.
Selected shorts from the concert in the video above.
Jonathan Loya was the Master of Ceremonies for the night.
(Mark Freedman on Guitar and vocals)
(Eliot Jekowsky on the Sax)
(Chris Karwacki on bass guitar and vocals and Tom Espanet, Percussion)
(John Souza, drums)
- Eliot Jekowsky -(Sax & Percussion) - Eliot began his musical career in the mid-60s in New York playing swing dance music at society parties, and then continued in Boston with the Ruby Newman Orchestra. He had stints leading Dixieland ensembles at Betty's Rolls Royce and J.C. Hillary's before entering a 30-year hiatus to pursue a non-musical career and raise a family. He returned to the music scene a few years ago, playing soul, Motown and funk with Party Band, then Brooklyn Brothers and now Mondo Soul.
- Chris Karwacki - (Bass & Vocals) - Chris was involved with Boston's mid 80's original scene, playing venues such as Jack's, The Rat, & The Channel. The 90's found him in several classic rock bands such as The Land Sharks & Alternate Route. After a 12 year hiatus, Chris was recruited by Brooklyn Brothers & now gets his groove on with Mondo Soul.
- Mark Freedman - (Guitar & Vocals) - Playing and recording full-time in the 60's found Marko performing alongside The Young Rascals, Billy Joel, and Leslie West. The New York/Miami circuit was alive with diverse talent and gave this Long Island singer and guitar player a musical experience rooted in rock and drenched in soul.
- Tom Espanet -(Percussion) - Tom's passion for drums began on a fateful Sunday night in 1964 while watching The Ed Sullivan Show. Playing since the age of ten, he has also become a well known vintage drum expert and restorer. Over the years Tom has performed with The New Horizon Band, Wild for Sally, Still Kick’in, Fat Cat Bone, Easy Money and King Street Station as well as being a first call substitute in the Mass/ RI area. Tom performs with an ever changing variety of vintage and modern drum equipment, Pearl and LP percussion gear, Zildjian and Sabian cymbals and Sure & AKG microphones.
- John Souza -(Drums )- During the 60's & 70's, John led the 8 piece soul band Big John & The Sherwoods. For three of those years, it featured Jeffery Osborne. He has toured with Patti Labelle, Taveres, Jeffery Osborne, Johnny Winter,, and BJ Thomas. For 10+ years he was a member of the GB band ESP and for the last 12 years, the blues band Tonecats. He continually strives to help Mondo Soul "own" whatever song they are playing, through his innovative beats and perspective.
- Booking: firstname.lastname@example.org
Next week, July 16: Ben Rudnick & Friends (Family Music).
Posted in Arts.